Friday, October 29, 2010

Remembering -- The Nightmare on Henry St. "Part 3"

Halloween 1990 was just the start of getting things rolling for the Nightmare as it continued.  My kids and their friends were having just a blast for Halloween; it lasted throughout the year, and year after year.  I found myself always working on something new and different.  It took a lot of time creating new heads, new bodies but it was always exciting and fun.  
In 1990 I created © Barnacle Pete, a long dead pirate looking for his buried treasure and to take revenge on his mutinous murderous crew. 
As time went on with the Nightmare, I tried to add a bit of realism to the surrealistic perception that was built into the horrors still life.

 

For © Barnacle Pete, I built in speakers into his skull and wired it to players which had recordings that I had created using my own voice.  In the bottom of the hole that Barnacle Pete was crawling out of I had a set of lights and red plastic discs spinning around by using the heat dispersed.  It worked rather well.  As you approached him, shining up from the hole it appeared as thought he was crawling right out of Dante’s Inferno with what looked like flames rising out of the abyss.  Then all of a sudden Barnacle Pete would speak out in his pirating voice alive again and festering on bloody revenge against his latent crew.




Usually on Halloween night I would get into the spirit of the evening by envisioning some sort of character and acting out that particular hosts haunt.  Of course what would a good haunt be without a mad scientist and his torrid scaled lab of destruction and doom bubbling away into mist?   
I wish I could of made my own Dry Ice, it got a little expensive every year for nearly 100# of the frozen CO2, from the lab’s domain to the hollowed out tombs in the graveyard.  But it so added to the eerie concoction of the awesome elixir of doom.
                                                                                                  
                   The Mad Doctor of Henry St.                                    



Halloween 1990 we had our first party for my two daughters with their friends from the neighborhood and from school.   It was a lot of fun and the kids had a great time.  They enjoyed the games that we had planned.  Throwing bean bags through the giant pumpkin, actually a giant pumpkin cut into a 4 x8 sheet of plywood leaning up in the carport.   Of course popping balloons with darts was always a treat.  And then there was the great pumpkin pass, everyone would line up and pass the pumpkin until the music stops.  It was always the Monster Mash song used.  When the music stopped they got to keep the pumpkin.   

My daughters having Halloween fun fun fun
My oldest daughter with the Grim Reaper who also made
      his appearance for Halloween 1990 



No comments:

Post a Comment